Fire Safety Tips for Your Home & Business

The tragic loss of life, burn injuries, and structural damage can take a major toll on families and businesses. Are you practicing fire safety in your workplace or home regularly?

Fire specialists estimate that it can take a mere 30 seconds for a small flame to turn into major blaze. Given that information, there are some simple steps that every family and workplace can take to avoid fires, as well as prepare in case a fire does occur.

Fire Safety

1 Install a Good Fire Alarm System

Most homes and businesses are required by state law to have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in certain locations such as outside kitchens, on every floor, and in every bedroom. Unfortunately, almost 3 of every 5 home fire deaths occurred in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms.

To prevent becoming a statistic of fire damage or even worse, death. We suggest installing a fire alarm system and checking the batteries and ensuring that your smoke and CO monitors are properly working at least twice a year.

In addition to having the tools to put out a fire, you should also consider investing in fire ladders to escape the smoke and flames. If your home or business is more than one floor tall, you will want a way to escape in case all of the other exits are blocked. Many ladder options are currently available that can be kept in a bedroom or closet.

2 Practice Kitchen Safety

  • Never leave the stove unattended.
  • Keep combustible material away from the stove or cooktop.
  • Keep children away from the oven while it is on. 
  • Clean grease from the oven right after each meal. Built up grease can cause a fire to ignite quickly. 
  • Never wear loose fitting clothes near the oven as they could catch on fire easily. 
  • Keep a fire extinguisher near the stove. 

3 Be Wary of Open Flames

While candles are a favorite of many homeowners, be aware that children and pets could easily cause them to tip over or ignite a fire. Never leave an open flame unattended. Make sure it is on a level, solid table away from curtains or anything that could catch fire.

4 Check Your Electrical Outlets

If your lights often blink on and off or the switch plate feels warm to the touch, you may have an electrical issue. Faulty wiring is another leading cause of house fires. If you suspect that your wires may be old or fraying contact an electrician to inspect your home and avoid a possible electrical fire.

Call the AlertWatch team today 01 689 6390 for more information on the Fire Safety. Why not avail of a free phone survey, demo or site survey?

Mail Us

Our Products

Call Us

Book a Demo